Just The FAQs, Ma’am, Just The FAQs

In the five months that our little blog has been on the intertubes, we’ve seen our readership grow from simply intra-office colleagues (and only then under threat of harm) to research administration personnel throughout the country.  Our original goal was to provide information for the JHU populace at large, but we’ve generally tried to tailor our posts to RA folks at all institutions, since the issues faced there are similar to those that we encounter.  It would appear that this approach is popular, and we’re greatly appreciative of our followers outside of the JHU network.

So, as a thank you to those non-JHU folks, today’s post is mainly for our Hopkins brethren.  The rest of you all are more than welcome to continue below, but, if you’re looking for something better, we suggest you head over to NCURA’s YouTube page and peruse some of their great informational videos.  We’ll still be here when you return.

In the meantime, below are some of the more frequently asked questions that get routed through our office.

How do I transfer my grant?

Awards are granted to the University and not the individual PI. In order for an award to be transferred from one institution to another, the agency, Department chair, and ORA must be notified.

How do I get my proposal routed through the University?

Reviewed and approved by the department first, a proposal must be submitted through Coeus. A proposal must have the endorsement of campus officials and therefore requires signatures of an authorized University official, which is delegated to ORA.

How do I begin my research prior to the award date?

A Preaward Authorization form must be completed and submitted to ORA. This form must bear the signature of the Department Administrator, who shall provide a default nonsponsored account number.

How do I find out how much money is left on my grant?

 Authorized users can access this information via SAP Business Warehouse (BW).

Do I need to get IRB approval?

 The Institutional Review Board (IRB) must review research involving human subjects. The purpose of the review is to help assure the protection of the rights and welfare of human subjects. More information about the IRB including the policies and procedures can be found here.

 What is cost sharing and what do I do with it?

Cost sharing is the commitment of the University’s resources to a sponsored project.  Cost sharing should be included in the proposal only when required by the sponsor in writing.

My funder has publication restrictions – is this allowable?

No. It is the policy of Johns Hopkins University that instruction, research, and services be accomplished openly and without prohibitions on the publication and dissemination of the results of academic and research activities. For more information, you can consult the Johns Hopkins University Policy on Classified and Proprietary Work. If you have further questions, please contact your Contracts Associate.